Monday, February 4, 2008

A1: ROD STEWART IS MY LIFE


When I heard that there was an artist who had painted a portrait of Rod Stewart dressed in a Stormtrooper uniform, I knew instantly that I had found my hero. Obviously, I immediately had to Google him, him being Brandon Bird. I found myself glued to my computer, looking at one painting after the other. His website is full of links to his hilariously awesome paintings, drawings, and even Valentine's Day cards. He is a contemporary artist from Sacramento, California and got his B.A. in Visual Arts from University of California, Santa Cruz. 
Brandon Bird has somewhat of a strong cult following as a result of his brilliant oil paintings of figures from popular culture, ranging from Chuck Norris to Christopher Walken to the cast of Law and Order. His paintings reflect a sarcastic sense of humor, playing with what the viewer knows about the famous figure depicted and the situation they are placed in. He renders his subjects with such realism and detail that it convinces the viewer that the fantasy components are really of part of that reality.
I am personally drawn to Brandon Bird, not only for my undying love for Rod Stewart, but also for his modern take on portraiture, the humor he injects into his paintings and the vibrant colors he choose to paint with. Just by looking at his work, you can tell how much fun he has within the creation of them and his passion for painting. He creates a dialogue within his work and that in turn establishes a connection with the viewer. Even if you don't necessarily care for this type of art, they'll make you laugh at the very least. 

2 comments:

JLR said...

I don’t know if I would want it hanging in my dining room but the combination of Rod Stewart and a Storm Trooper is pretty funny. At first that’s what I thought this painting was trying to do, to only be funny but after reading your post I realize that the artist is trying to reinvent the portrait. After this realization the painting held more value to me in terms of artistic quality.

WriteThisPuppy said...

I would gladly hang a painting of Rod Stewart garbed in Storm Trooper outfit. My favorite, however, is "No One Wants to Play Sega with Harrison Ford." The look of anguish on his face is priceless. Bird's art not only reflects pop culture, but also makes fun of it. Who said art had to be serious? I definitely approve of someone who has a sense of humor when observing humanity.