Wednesday, April 30, 2008

GENTS!


GENTS
8 x 5 ft.
Acrylic on canvas 

 I've been dealing with the female figure in my work for years now.  There is a certain grace and beauty that falls within the curves of the female form. My knowledge of the body, specifically female, allows me the opportunity to distort and manipulate these defining lines. The idea of moving on from that to the male figure used to absolutely terrify me. However, with the determination to push myself beyond my comfort zone and keep moving forward with the natural evolution of my series of paintings, the time had come to paint boys. 
The process was stressful and I was anxious the whole way through to see if I could paint men as successfully as my women. It was the most ambitious of my paintings thus far, not only was I trying to paint two men, I was painting two specific men in which the likeness had to be accurate. It was within the faces of these gentlemen that I realized that same beauty and grace that I had found within the curves of the female form was present. 

My portrait became another construction of aesthetic and a representation of a satirical and crude reality.

No comments: